Lizard dead in cold drink: AMC imposes Rs 1 lakh penalty on McDonald’s store


The Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) on Monday imposed a fine of Rs 1 lakh on a McDonald’s outlet in the Sola area of ​​Ahmedabad, two weeks after pictures of a dead lizard in a cold drink served by them emerged. went viral on social media.

The civic body also said surprise checks will be carried out at the restaurant for three months.

AMC’s Supplementary Medical Officer Dr Bhavin Joshi told the Indian Express: ‘The restaurant was penalized Rs 1 lakh today (Monday) after the said complaint and inspection of the unit by CMA health officials.”

Regarding the conditions for reopening the unit, Dr Joshi said: “After paying the fine, the restaurant will have two days for cleaning. Following this, an inspection will take place and the unit will be allowed to reopen. if the team deems it satisfactory.

The best of Express Premium
Prime
Explained: Why the Gulf Matters to IndiaPrime
UPSC Key-June 6, 2022: Why and What to Know About 'Black Money' at 'Gait...Prime
Omar Abdullah: 'Every employee (Pandit) who returns, I consider...Prime

🚨 Limited time offer | Express Premium with ad-lite for only Rs 2/day 👉🏽 Click here to subscribe 🚨

On May 21, the AMC learned of a complaint from a certain Bhargav Joshi who posted photos of the dead lizard in the cold drink served by McDonald’s on Twitter.

AMC Food Safety Officer Devang Patel had collected samples of cold drinks from the outlet for testing at the Ahmedabad Public Health Laboratory and sealed the restaurant with immediate effect for “greater public health security”.

At the time, AMC ordered that the outlet not be allowed to reopen its premises without prior permission from the civic body.

In a statement on Monday, McDonald’s said: “We follow very strict and extremely rigorous food safety procedures and protocols, which include food safety checks and testing carried out at the supplier level through to the restaurant. Regarding the alleged matter, after conducting an internal review, we are confident that this incident cannot take place in our restaurant. We more suspect that there is foul play, as we have already indicated in our initial response to the authorities.

“The facts, including the serving of the drink in an open glass, the size of the parts of the machines used to dispense the drinks, etc., make it impossible that this incident happened at the point of sale. In addition, within the restaurant, we carry out regular disinfection of all work and storage areas. Our operational processes are highly standardized and designed to prevent any such incident as alleged by the client,” he added.

“Food safety authorities who visited the store found nothing and everything was in order, as we fully comply with applicable food safety laws. As good corporate citizens, we consistently comply with applicable laws and n “paid the fine only under the process imposed by the authorities. We are known both in India and globally as a restaurant brand with impeccable health and hygiene measures in place,” says the press release.

Previous Singapore: Recent Ministry of Health initiatives to raise awareness of the risks of direct-to-consumer genetic testing
Next GEICO honors six service members with military service awards